NEW JERSEY LICENSE FOR POOL & SPA SERVICE CONTRACTORS and POOL & SPA BUILDERS/INSTALLERS
Pool & Spa Builder/Installer will be required to have
- APSP – Certified Builder Professional (CBP) or
- Other certification acceptable to the board/committee (non- approved at this time)
- One Licensed Contractor per Company
Pool & Spa Service Contractor will be required to have
- APSP-Certified Service Technician (CST) or
- APSP Certified Service Professional (CSP) or APSP – Certified Builder Professional (CBP) or APSP – Certified Hot Tub Technician (CHTT) – (limited to spa service only); or
- Other certifications acceptable to the Board/Committee (non-approved at this time)
- One Licensed Individual per Company
Employees in the field not under the direct supervision of a licensee will be required to have
- 3 years of practical experience and be an APSP – Certified Maintenance Specialist (CMS).
- Exemptions: simply cleaning pool equipment and components, pool vacuuming, sanitation of water, and backwash filtration – training for these services can be done by the licensee to the employee.
- For 24 months after the Pool and Spa Service Contractors and Pool and Spa Builders and Installers Advisory Committee adopts the licensing regulations, there will be a “grandfathering” period where it is not necessary to achieve the certifications if the following can be met
- References from at least 1 trade-related business and 1 financial institution to verify business existence
- Certificate of good standing less than 30 days old from the Secretary of State of NJ or State where the company is incorporated
- 3 current references from APSP members attesting to knowledge, and skills as a service contractor OR builder/installer
- The Grandfathering period will allow professionals additional time to achieve their required certifications for their license. Once grandfathering is over certifications will be required for new licensees as well as renewing license holders.
- must be renewed every three years; continuing education requirements to be determined by licensing board
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON LICENSING REQUIREMENTS
& HOW TO GET CERTIFIED, CONTACT NESPA AT 609.689.9111