State of Connecticut Repeals Above Ground Assembler's License
On June 30th, the Governor of Connecticut signed into law a bill that will repeal the Above Ground Pool Assembler’s License. The repeal is effective January 1, 2018.
No other Swimming Pool Licenses were impacted by this repeal.
State of Connecticut Licensing Process
Spa & Pool Trades Candidate Information Bulletin
Connecticut Occupational Licensing for Spa & Pool Trades
With guest speaker – Lawrence Caniglia, Executive Director, Northeast Spa & Pool Association
Increase awareness to the industry that service licenses are needed and enforceable after the recent legislation. Also the builder license is now being issued, so get your paperwork going and we must be sure to show how the builders differs from the service license.
The process to get either license, starting with the prerequisite education (APSP certifications), grandfathering, PSI applications, testing, studying for state exams, etc.
Enforcement, Penalties, Consumer Awareness, Point of Sale (POS).
View Seminar PDF Handouts
Application for Apprentice Trainee Registration
When registration is requested for an area of the trade which is not available through the Connecticut Department of Labor, said contractor shall make his/her request to the appropriate board prior to the employment of the employee.
More Information and Trainee Application
Have questions about licensing requirements in Connecticut?
NESPA and CONSPA have developed a comprehensive online resource designed to answer your questions about the Pool and Spa Maintenance and Repair License (SP-1 & SP-2) and the Swimming Pool Builder License. Click here to find out the answers to frequently asked questions and to download the forms needed to apply for licensing in Connecticut.
Official Swimming Pool Builders License
Section 1. (NEW) (Effective from passage) (a) As used in this section, (1) "swimming pool" means a permanent spa or any in-ground or partially above-ground structure intended for swimming that is greater than twenty-four inches in depth, and (2) "swimming pool builder" means a person who, for financial compensation, excavates and grades for and constructs and installs a swimming pool, including, but not limited to, tiling, coping, decking and installation of associated circulation equipment such as pumps, filters and chemical feeders.
CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER PROTECTION SP1 & SP2 Applications
Occupational Trade License Application
Instructions: All applicants must review the Candidate Information Bulletin at www.psiexams.com
1) This application must be completed and notarized by the individual applying for licensure. The Federal Privacy Act of 1974 requires that you be notified that disclosure of your Social Security Number is required pursuant to C.G.S. §17b-137a. If you choose not to disclose your Social Security Number your application cannot be processed.
2) Fees: Contractor $150.00; Journey-person $90.00; Dealer-Tech $200.00; Technician $80.00; Driller (any type) $88.00. A check and/or money order for the applicable fee made payable to PSI licensure:certification must accompany this application. Application fees are non-refundable.
3) Once this application is reviewed and approved, you will receive an Examination Eligibility Postcard from PSI with instructions to register and schedule the examination. Please note that an examination fee will be due at the time you schedule the examination with PSI.
Application Swimming Pool Builder License Form, Requirements and Worksheet
"Swimming pool" means a permanent spa or any in-ground or partially above-ground structure intended for swimming that is greater than twenty-four inches in depth, and (2) "swimming pool builder" means a person who, for financial compensation, excavates and grades for and constructs and installs a swimming pool, including, but not limited to, tiling, coping, decking and installation of associated circulation equipment such as pumps, filters and chemical feeders.
Any person seeking a license as a Swimming Pool Builder shall apply to the commissioner on an application form provided by the commissioner. Such application form shall be verified under oath and shall include the applicant’s:
(2) Trade Name, if applicable;
(3) Business Address;
(4) Such other information as the commissioner may require in determining the qualifications of an applicant.
Worksheet | Application
Applying for license for the first time MUST apply for the SP-1 and SP-2
It is required that an individual applying for his license for the first time MUST apply for the SP-2 and then wait a two year "maturation period" and the apply for their SP-1